Geosciences Equality & Diversity Committee Remit
The School is committed to promoting equality, diversity and inclusion. We recognise the range of amazing and diverse individuals who are involved with the School and the University, and who make us such a great place to study and work. We are committed to working to eliminate discrimination and disadvantage.
The School is aligned to the University's vision of a continuing commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion for both students and staff, within the framework of the Equality Act 2010.
Equality means ensuring people are not trated differently or less favourably on the basis of their specific protected characteristic, including race, gender, disability, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age.
Promoting equality should remove discirimination in all these areas. Bullying, harrassment or victimisation are also considered equality, diversity and inclusion issues.
Diversity aims to recognise, respect and value people's differences to contribute and realise their full potential by promoting an inclusive culture for all staff and students.
We aim to:
- Treat all staff and students fairly
- Create an inclusive culture for all staff and students
- Ensure equal access to opportunities for students to fully participate in the learning process
- Enable all staff and students to develop their full potential
- Equip staff and students to challenge inequality and discrimination in their work/ study environment
- Ensure that learning materials do not discriminate against any individuals or groups
- Ensure that policies, procedures and processes don't discriminate
The School's Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Committee supports the implementation of the University's Equality and Diversity Strategy and plays an active role in facilitating an inclusive and convivial workplace in the School of GeoSciences. The School's EDI Action Plan for 2019-20 can be found here. The School currently has an Athena SWAN Bronze Award with Professor Ruth Doherty as the School's Athena SWAN Champion.